So, I finally caved. For about two months my sister has pleaded with me to start a 30 by 30 project. No small undertaking as the 1st anniversary of my 29th birthday is about 7 months away. She has stubbornly ignored my numerous refusals… That’s why she’s a great Occupational Therapist.
Side note: For those who are wondering what a 30 by 30 project is, it is a list of 30 things you like to do, see, experience or achieve by your 30th birthday.
I have dreaded turning thirty for a long time now. I had just started making my peace with it when a “Friends” marathon of all ten seasons started in my house… Watching Joey at each of his friend’s 30th birthday parties crying, “Why God? Why do you hate us?” did set me back a little.
30. Three Oh. The Big Three Oh. Thirty. A year over twenty nine. Ten years from forty. So as I tried to make it sound less “thirty-ish” in my head, I begrudgingly agreed to the idea as I figure no one apart from her and my mom would even want to read about it. As she flat out ignored my, “No Naomi. I don’t have time,” and waved off my “No Naomi, I can’t afford that,” She started a list…
“Number one… Bungee jumping!” This, just a couple days after a tourist took a dive into the croc infested waters of the Zambezi.
“Ok, ok… I know! Go on… wait for it… a blind date!” She finishes proudly.
“C’mon. We’ll set you up.”
“No. No. No. No. No.” I repeat myself until she scratches it off her list.
Finally we (she called on my sister in law and mother for advice) sifted through the proposed and Googled ideas… Some were tossed out as too traumatic (a trip to a bird park… don’t judge me), too expensive (a trip overseas) or too ridiculous (set up an online dating profile and actually go on a date – online dating is not an option once you’ve taught grade 8 life orientation about online predators).
They unfortunately hogged the list allowing me very little say as to how I will be bidding my twenties adieu. My one truly non-negotiable was that starting a blog be on the List… Nothing makes me feel better than a to do list that already has things crossed out. Obviously since I’m putting up the list I did exercise editing rights before I posted it.
I work reasonably well under pressure (in other words I leave things till the last minute) so I do foresee most of these happening just before September 21st 2012, but who knows, maybe I’ll surprise even myself.
Without any further waffling I give you “The List” and invite you to follow my journey to “The Big Three Oh.” As they say on Cool Runnings… “Peace be da journey.”
- Start a blog… CHECK! In case you are confused, you’re reading it…
- Ride on a bus, train and a taxi. I argued for this to be three separate entries, to no avail.
- Go to a concert
- Get a tattoo… A real one…
- Pop popcorn on the stove without a lid on the pot… Always wanted to do this!
- Watch a movie trilogy in one sitting
- Milk a cow… even as I type this I’m thinking of how I am so not farm girl material
- Write a message, put it in a bottle and toss it out to sea
- Have a photo that I’ve taken professionally framed
- Get my legs waxed for the first time
- Walk up Lion’s Head
- Wear a dress to work
- Cook a three course Jamie Oliver meal
- Road Trip
- Go coffee free for 30 days
- Memorise a poem
- Make Sushi
- Spend an entire day in my PJ’s
- Take 10 photos that I love
- Watch an entire season of any series in one day
- Host a dinner party
- Send someone a handwritten letter
- Go fishing
- Donate Blood (haven’t been able to donate for a while for health reasons)
- Go Camping
- Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner together as a family on the same day
- Successfully make an origami something
- Do at least one DIY project
- Volunteer somewhere for one hour
- Watch the sunrise with friends
So there you have it! My 30 before 30… If you feel like joining me in any of these endeavours, let me know… The more the merrier, or so they say.
Let the countdown begin!